as per the document provided by the organization.
In the mid-1990s, a group of distinguished Kuwaiti academicians and businessmen realized the vital importance of establishing a modern university in Kuwait equal in quality to other prestigious universities abroad and to serve the ever-increasing educational demands of the local society and the Gulf region. Its primary purpose was to prepare generations of young leaders and professionals for the demands of a new global technological era.
In January 1997, Kuwaiti Academic Group, comprised of 41 faculty members from Kuwait University, was established to lay the foundation for the proposed "University of the Future." Their studies culminated in the vision of "Gulf University for Science and Technology" (GUST).
A strategic partnership was established with the University of Missouri at St. Louis (UMSL), the international counterpart university chosen to help bring the visualization of the projected university to fruition. The development was facilitated and shaped by the Private Universities Decree, No. 34, issued by the State of Kuwait in 2000, resulting in the establishment of a temporary campus with the necessary infrastructure in Hawally. In 2002, the issuance of Emiri Decree, No. 156, completed the legal establishment of GUST as the first private university in the State of Kuwait and permitted the start of the first academic year in 2002-2003.
GUST has continually improved and expanded its educational and organizational capacities while steadily increasing its enrollments. At its first commencement ceremony in June 2007, GUST conferred diplomas on approximately four hundred graduates, many of whom were eagerly received by the leading business sectors in the state of Kuwait.
Here at GUST, our students are our main priority and focus, and our goal is to produce well-rounded individuals with the knowhow and skills to independently succeed in tomorrow’s world. This is done by creating a solid foundation, employing experienced faculty, nurturing an active student life; housed in an exceptional campus, offering courses which are internationally recognized and accredited, and allowing students to expand their horizons by studying abroad.
GUST's campus is built with the well-being and future of our students in mind, and houses a number of standout features such as multiple computer labs, a state of the art dealing room simulator, TV/radio studios, a fully equipped gym, swimming pool, several auditoriums, an amphitheater, a clinic, a FIFA-accredited football field, squash courts, and a tennis court.
Each year, GUST offers its students the opportunity to apply for summer scholarships to enrich their academic experience through international study. These include summer scholarships at University of Missouri Saint-Louis and George Washington University. Student may also choose the 2+2 option, i.e. study their first two years at GUST, and the last two at UMSL.
A number of options are available, including full scholarships from the Ministry of Education and from GUST itself.
College of Arts & Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Arts in English Literature
- Bachelor of Arts in English, Linguistics - Translation
- Bachelor of Arts in English Secondary Education (female applicants only)
- Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications
College of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - emphasis in Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - emphasis in Management and Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - emphasis in International Business
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - emphasis in Marketing
All applicants must submit the following documentation:
- Official high school graduation diploma and transcripts
- An IBT TOEFL* score, IELTS score, or the results of a recently taken GUST English Placement Test (Accuplacer).
- The GUST Mathematics Placement Test (Accuplacer) is compulsory for all applicants.
- Personal Statement
- KD 25 non-refundable application fee
All applicants must submit the following documentation:
1. Completed GUST Application Form. The form is available at the GUST Admissions Office.
2. Official high school graduation diploma and transcripts
3. An IBT TOEFL* score, IELTS score, or the results of a recently taken GUST English Placement
4. The GUST Mathematics Placement Test (Accuplacer™) is compulsory for all applicants.
5. Personal Statement
6. KD 25 non-refundable application fee
7. Three recent passport-size photographs
8. One certified copy of an officially recognized secondary school certificate
9. A photocopy of the civil identity card and the passport which must include a valid residence
permit for non-Kuwaitis
* The iBT TOEFL result must be from a center in Kuwait or from a center in an English speaking
Consultation with a pre-admission advisor is recommended. Placement tests are offered throughout the
year, and applicants should contact the Office of Admissions and Registration for more information.
Applicants must submit their completed application, application fee, and all supporting documentation
prior to the start of the semester for which they are applying for admission.
Additional Program Requirements:
Computer Science Degree Requirement
To enter the GUST Computer Science degree program, applicants must have a high school diploma
specializing in secondary school science or math curriculum.